Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Faux Tooled Leather Suspenders

Here is an easy, inexpensive project for a sewer of any skill level.
      A pair of Button on Suspenders/Braces!
      I started with this website's tutorial for children's suspenders because the have the button style that I prefer.  Running with Scissors  has a wonderful tutorial that is clear and easy to read, but I'm a little larger than her boy, so some modifications were required to make this fit me.  I also googled what '1800 suspenders or braces' ought to look like to help with the location of the buttons on the pants, and where the straps should meet in the back.
     I followed her instruction but scaled everything up and made up my own pattern for connecting the straps to my pants. Originally, it appears they were attached by an 0-shaped piece of metal to make them adjustable, so I hunted around Paris, Texas and a few fabric stores in Lubbock, Through many questions and confused looks I decided I could not find the little hardware used to adjust them, all I could find were the alligator clips, which I was avoiding, so I decided to just attach them directly to the faux leather. 
     I found several tutorials on how to make cloth covered suspenders which the quilters cotton fabric would work beautifully to achieve any design or pattern sleeves for the elastic.  We carry the elastic in 1" and 3/4", as well as 1/4" if you had other things in mind.  We have this dark chocolate brown faux leather, a lighter color, a kind of red coral color, and off topic, there is a wide bolt of velvet back there in a redish hue that I may use on my wife's jacket for Christmas.
     The buttons are suppose to match the pants as closely in color as you can, but because I used a brown for the attachments I decided to separate the blandness of brown on brown with some black buttons I found in the sale area for 40 cents per 4 buttons, which I hard to pass up.

1 comment:

  1. Designer fabric at discount prices. Choose from home decor, fashion, upholstery and drapery fabric for your projects at My Fabric Connection
    barrow fabrics

    ReplyDelete